Nazar tama

Form of the monument: Urban planning and architecture

Date of monument: the end of ХІХ – beginning of ХХ centuries

Location of monument: Irgiz region, in 6 km to north-west from the village named after Kirov, the left bank of Uly-Taldyk river

Historical background: The mausoleum of Nazar tama was studied in 1998 by a complex expedition on the research of ethnocultural heritage on the territory of Aktobe oblast (Head — S. Azhigali). Some data about the mausoleum was studied by the folkloristic-ethnographical expedition, carried out on the territory of Aktobe in 2002 (the Head — A. Almatov). The mausoleum was built in 1920 by Master Zhyga of local raw brick with five-domed arches.

Nazar Kobekuly (1853-1919) was born in the village of Zhabasak in the Kenzhegar volost, the former Irgiz region. His father Kobek was a wealthy man. Nazar Kobek studied at the 2-year Russian-Kazakh school in Torgai, after graduation the school worked as a secretary in Kenzhegar volost. N. Kobekuly learned to vaccinate against infection diseases from Mukhamedzhan Karabaev, who was assigned to the military hospital for 10 places in Irgiz fortress in 1895. The people from his village called him «Shanyshpai ata». Independently learning the Russian language, he began to read the Russian-language newspaper «Iskra». He took part in drafting a map of the Kenzhegar volost of Irgiz uyezd. He dealt with difficult disputes among the people.

In 1918 he became familiar with Alibi Zhangeldin, and had supported the course of the Soviet government. In 1919 he suddenly fell ill, died and was buried near his winter hut in Shikuduk.

Description of monument: A rectangular structure (9x9m) with four small domes on its four corners and a large central dome in the centre. On the top of the central dome is a wooden cart wheel. In the south-east of the mausoleum is an entry ramp.